Giving as part of First Alliance Church
or text GIVE to
What's the big deal about giving?
In Mark 12:41-44, there is a story of Jesus at the Temple. As He is there, He notices the various people coming in and placing their money in the offering boxes. Lots of people are coming in and giving various amounts, but He points out a specific widow to His disciples because of her gift. Not because she gave a huge amount, her gift was actually very small, but because she gave all she had. Her desire to honor the Lord through giving was what was huge.
Giving is an act of worship, obedience, celebration, and thanksgiving to the Lord. It is one of the ways, as healthy biblical disciples, we acknowledge the kingship of Jesus Christ over all areas of our life, including our finances.
Our gifts are known as tithes and offerings. Tithe literally means "tenth" or 10%. A tithe is the act of giving the first 10% of the income we receive back to the Lord. An offering is anything given above and beyond that. A tithe is merely a starting part since we are ultimately called to live a life of generous stewardship (Proverbs 11:25, 2 Corinthians 9:11).
Through the discipline of giving, we learn to put God first, we acknowledge that all things come from His hand (1 Chronicles 29:14), and we affirm our trust in God that He will supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19). Giving is a personal choice. He desires that we do so willingly and with joy and thanksgiving (2 Corinthians 9:7). The Bible also teaches that what we do with the resources we have received is a reflection of what is important to us (Luke 12:34). This is what is at the heart of the Core Competency of Stewardship for a disciple.
There are various options for giving your tithes and offerings:
- Give during a Sunday Worship Service by placing your tithe/offering in the offering plate during the service.
- Give electronically by clicking the green "Click Here to Give" button at the top or bottom of this page. You will be connected to our online giving portal hosted by Tithe.ly, whom we have partnered with to provide a safe, secure, and convenient way to give. This method allows you to give anywhere at anytime, track your past giving, and set up recurring donations.
- Text to Give by texting the word Give to (706) 567-7379 and following the instructions.
- Use the FACT Mobile App, available for iOS and Android.
- Give through your bank's online bill pay system.
- You can mail your gift to First Alliance Church, PO Box 1183, Toccoa, GA 30598 or drop it off during the week.
Setting Up Online Giving
Here's how to set-up online giving:
- Click the green "Click Here to Give" link. It will open up our Tithe.ly giving portal.
- You have two options: Simply enter your information to give a one time gift, or Login/Sign Up to set up recurring transactions and track your giving.
- For first time users and to register, click "Login/Sign Up" at the top right.
- Click "Create Account"
- Fill in the requested information and click Submit.
- Your email address will become your username. It will also be the email address where your giving confirmation emails will be sent.
- You will also need to enter a payment source (either a credit card or bank account) to be able to give
- To give a one time gift, fill in your contact information and payment details (no login or registration is required if you choose this, but you will have to enter your information every time).
- For first time users and to register, click "Login/Sign Up" at the top right.
- Additional Information:
- To give to multiple funds, you will need to set up an account. One time gifts can only be given to one fund.
- To set up Automated Giving (automatic recurring giving on certain dates for certain amounts), you must create an account. On the giving screen, there will be the option to Setup Automated Giving.
- There is an option to Cover Card Processing Fees with all the methods.
Online Giving FAQs
How is online giving through the FACT website/Tithe.ly portal different from online giving through my bank?
Online giving through the FACT website/Tithe.ly portal allows you to give to our church using a credit card, debit card, or electronic check transfer to multiple funds.
Online giving through your bank (banks typically refer to this as "bill pay") is set up through your banks website and allows your bank to send checks directly to First Alliance Church on your behalf.
If I already give through my bank's bill pay, do I have to change anything?
No, you do not need to change anything. You can continue to give as you are currently doing.
Why is First Alliance Church offering online giving through Tithe.ly?
As people write fewer checks, carry little or no cash, and engage in more online transactions, we recognize that church giving was an area that did not allow for the convenience of online giving.
Online giving provides a next step in your discipleship journey where you can decide in advance to give faithfully and give consistently even when you are unable to attend a worship service. Plus it means you no longer have to worry about forgetting your checkbook or cash, finding a working pen, or wondering where an offering envelope might be. You can give through the convenience of your computer or smartphone, even during a worship service.
How do I access the online giving option?
Simply click the "Click to GIVE" link that is located at the top and bottom of this page of the website. Or text the word give to (706) 567-7379.
Is online giving through Tithe.ly secure?
Yes, Tithe.ly is an online donation system built with ministry and security in mind. Tithe.ly is used by churches around the country for giving and makes security a primary concern. They are Level 1 PCI compliant, as is required by all websites dealing in financial transactions. Staff members of First Alliance Church regularly use the online giving system with confidence.
In addition, we have chosen to partner with Tithe.ly because a portion of the fees we pay are given back to the Great Commission Fund of the Christian & Missionary Alliance.
Are there any costs associated with giving online through Tithe.ly?
As with any electronic transaction these days, our service provider does charge a small percentage of each transaction to cover the costs of online payment processing. This percentage is less for transactions involving a bank account (checking or saving) and a little more for a credit card transaction. We account for these fees, but you can help offset these costs by choosing the Cover card processing fees option when you give. In contrast, there are no fees charged to First Alliance when you use your bank's online bill pay system.
What forms of payment can I use for online giving?
You may use a Debit Card, Check Card, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or eCheck/ACH. However, we strongly encourage you not to use a credit card if you carry a balance. Please do not go into debt giving money to First Alliance Church or any ministry that FACT supports.
Can I designate where my tithe/offering goes?
Yes, when giving online you will have access to a menu that allows you to designate one or more funds where your tithe/offering will go. This is typically not possible through most bank's online bill pay system.
To give to multiple funds in the same transaction, you will need to set up an account.
You can also designate with the text to give options.
Is my tithe/offering tax deductible?
Whether you give online or in person, your tithe/offering will be tax deductible as permitted by current law. You will receive a single giving statement at the end of the year that you can use for tax preparation.
Can I review my giving history online?
Yes, if you have registered, the site will allow you to review your contribution history. In addition, we will continue to prepare yearly giving statements that you will be able to pick up at FACT at the designated time each January or that will be mailed to the address we have on record for you.
I use online giving, but I miss participating in the offering time during a service.
We understand the tension between giving online and feeling like you are not able to fully participate in the worship service during the offering time. In the pocket of each pew is an "I Gave Online" card. Feel free to grab one and drop it in the offering plate as it comes by.
I have other questions. Who do I contact?
Please call the Church Office (706-886-5948) or email the Finance Team. We will get back to you as soon as possible.