Opportunities to Serve & Engage
We believe that serving is a normal and vital part of being a disciple of Jesus Christ. It's how we Engage the World. In fact, one of the key components of spiritual growth is serving others. The first and most natural way to serve is by BLESSing the people around you that you interact with everyday - family, neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc.
Serving also involves giving time, energy, and talents to work together for the good of others. There are three kinds of opportunities to serve:
- As part of one of the ministry teams at First Alliance Church.
- Locally around the Toccoa/Stephens County area.
- Globally around the world.
Check out the options in the virtual ministry fair below. Some opportunities can be done by anyone and others have requirements like being a disciple of Jesus and/or membership. Start the conversation be letting us know what opportunities grab you, and we'll help you get engaged and serving.
At First Alliance Church
- Serve with FACTKids
- as part of the Nursery Team* on Sundays or Wednesdays
- as part of the Toddler (2/3s) Team* on Sunday mornings
- as part of the Children's Church Team on Sunday mornings
- as part of the Awana Team* on Wednesdays during the school year
- helping with Special Events or Ministry Oversight/Coordination*
- Serve with On-Deck Youth
- as a small group leader*
- as a sponsor or mentor*
- providing event help or ministry support (i.e. chaperone, etc)*
- in Quizzing*
- Serve as part of Hospitality/Assimilation
- as part of the Greeter Team on Sunday mornings
- as part of the Follow-Up Team
- on the Coffee & Connection Host Team (Sundays)
- as an Usher on Sunday mornings
- providing ministry support
- helping with Church Meals/Socials
- Serve as part of the Music/Worship Ministry
- Serve in Adult Disciple-making
- as a discipleship mentor/coach and partner with 1 or 2 others to help them connect, grow, and engage and develop the Core Competencies
- as a leader/facilitator of a Discipling Community in a home or on campus
- facilitating a special focus group
- providing ministry administrative support
- in the Library and managing of resources
- Serve by Praying for FACT, Toccoa, and beyond
- Serve by engaging locally in Care Ministries
- Deacons and Deaconesses
- Providing rides or meals as necessary
- helping with "on call" service projects, special opportunities, or disaster relief
- helping people work through life situations with a spiritual framework
- Serve on the Missions Team or Partnership Task Force in support of our global efforts
- Serve with your skills/abilities like
- construction, maintenance, handy-man skills, or safety/security
- office/admin support, technology, or social media
- creative arts, writing, photography
- Complete the Skills Survey (click on the button below)
- Contribute a specific skill or talent you may have for the benefit of First Alliance
- Or something else? Contact Pastor Chris.
Together we accomplish the work and responsibilities required to be a healthy biblical church. Some of these opportunities may require additional screening and qualification. Items marked with a * require a volunteer application, background check, risk management training, and at least 6 months of consistent attendance at First Alliance.
Complete the Interest Form (click below) to let us know which opportunities are of interest to you and learn more. We want to help you serve as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Locally in Toccoa/Stephens County
- Impact Toccoa by facilitating a care-based ministry like GriefShare, DivorceCare, financial counseling, or something else.
- Serve as part of the First Alliance Jail Ministry, a group of men and women who go weekly to the local jail to do ministry. Contact us to find out about getting involved.
- Partnering with one of our local organizations:
- Be present for one student one hour a week for one school year as a mentor to a Stephens County School student. Not as a tutor or parent, but to provide positive adult interaction. Click for more info, download and complete the Mentor Application or contact Nancy Eckback at Family Connections of Stephens County at 706-898-5115. Training is provided.
- Be part of the team at Open Arms Clinic serving the uninsured and working poor of Stephens County. Opportunities include nursing work (including if you are a student nurse), reception, scheduling, and computer work. Visit their website or call 706-886-0940 for more information.
- First Steps works with needy young families in Toccoa teaching and empowering them to succeed independently. You could meet one time needs for children's clothing, gas money, food, feminine hygiene products, etc. or provide monthly Blessing Baskets to establish an ongoing relationship with a young mother. Contact Merry Carol Scott by phone 706-768-2596 or email.
- Open your home and heart as a Foster Parent for needy and vulnerable children. Visit the Georgia DFCS Foster Parent info site or the United Methodist Children's Home website or call 770-531-3063. Build hope in Georgia's children.
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteer and be an advocate for children in juvenile court dependency proceedings due to abuse and neglect. Change a child's life for a brighter future and help end a cycle of abuse and neglect. Check out this flyer, or contact Northeast GA CASA at 706-886-1098 or email them.
- Literacy Volunteers with Kids & Youth with the Toccoa/Stephens County Literacy Council. Contact them or call Billie Thompson at 706-282-5171.
- Make a difference in a long term care situation by giving your time, companionship, and skills as well as Jesus' hope with Amedisys. Check out the flyer for more info.
- Work with abused spouses and children through Georgia Circle of Hope. Visit their website or call 706-776-3406. There are opportunities both as a thrift store volunteer and a shelter volunteer.
- Partner with Neighbors 4 Neighbors, a non-profit that feeds and comforts the hungry in Stephens County by volunteering or donating. Visit their website, email, or call 706-491-5636.
Globally around the world
There are multiple opportunities to serve around the world in short or long term situations with the Christian & Missionary Alliance. To learn more or explore opportunities, visit one of these links:
- Serve with The Alliance - General Information
- Overseas Work with the C&MA
- Trips or Internships with Envision
- In Atlanta with Envision
Or ask how you can get involved with our strategic partnership with Bethany House in Alicante, Spain.